Sunday, June 17, 2007

Life's A Beach






I love the beach. And, I love Tybee Island. It's weird, quirky, laid back persona fits me perfectly. You've got to love a place where fine dining and flip flops aren't on opposite ends of the spectrum. If I could, I'd be one of those people who sells painted shell art on the roadside to tourists during the season. Since I have children who require regular feedings, I don't think that will happen any time soon, but a girl's got to have a goal.




Early every June, my friends from college and I go to Tybee as part of a girls only R&R weekend. It's a LONG weekend, and we love it. There are generally 6 of us, but this year, life caught up with some of the others, and they weren't able to make it. Even though our numbers were cut in half, we had a great time.

One of my friends, 'Sarge', is a practially a professional sunbather. She's been doing this since before I knew her, and I learned quickly that to hang with her on the beach all day meant me and my fair-skinned Scotch-Irish skin would have to learn some major beach coping skills. As a result, I usually have a huge umbrella, floppy hat, and sunscreen with an SPF of about 75 while Sarge coats herself with spray Pam and flakes out all day. This isn't new...we're used to it. As a matter of fact, I jokingly asked Sarge where the baby oil with iodine was, as she now lives very close to the Redneck Riverea with her husband, The Colonel. I was quickly told that was 'cheating'. Dr. Lucy also attended, and surprised us by deciding to pre-tan this year. Smart chick. Of course, I give her all kinds of grief for not having a 'real' job. She only has to work a couple of days a week at a chi-chi private college, although that's probably going to change to a more normal schedule next year. We're talking college here though, so the schedule is still one of those variable things.


We spent most of our time retelling past stories, solving the world's problems and generally being lazy, rum-soaked (or beer-soaked) sun goddesses. I don't think any of us would have it any other way.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

looks like fun!

that gull is lovely!