Friday, October 19, 2007

Why My Kids Are the Most Awesome On the Planet

Necropolis and I have always encouraged our children to be themselves and have not restricted them to gender stereotypes. If one of our children chose to take ballet or said they wanted to study fashion, we would encourage and support them.

Our children, however, have other ideas.

They are two of the roughest, tumblest, dirtiest boys imaginable. They are of the scraped knees, frogs in the pocket, swinging from the rafters variety. And, that's quite alright as well. Hard on the washing machine, but quite okay.

It's the time of year when the toy commercials are really hitting hard, and GLB and MUC are starting to really sit up and take notice. It's strange how they focus on this, since Santa is quite selective in what he brings, and we tell family and friends to go light on the toys. Our children are very fortunate in what they have, so we don't encourage excess. At any rate, while watching these commercials, the boys often gag and vehemently disdain any "girl" toys. My Little Pony, Barbies, Bratz (which, quite frankly, scare me), and others of that ilk are very like to provoke a resounding "OH, GROSS!" from the kid quarter. I feel it is my obligation and duty as parent to tease them unmercifully. I still have a couple of my childhood Barbies, a carry case, as well as several outfits. They've been in the garage, in storage all this time, but I keep threatening to get them out for the boys to play with every time they start gagging at a Barbie commercial. Tonight, MUC called my bluff.

And, I called his.

I went, at great risk of life and limb, and found the case, cleaned it off, and offered it (with a strong admonition that it was OLD) to the boys. They DOVE into it. And hour and a half later, I'm typing this blog entry, and they're still playing with the dolls. I know this is probably a one time event. They'll lose interest, and I'll put the Barbies back. But, it does my heart proud to know my kids just don't care. Just like they don't care about color, or gender, or how much money some one's parents have.

Oh, and someday, when they bring home a date, I've got proof of this night.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just. Awesome.