Saturday, June 28, 2008

But Are You Knitting?

I could answer with some quippy cliche' about the Pope or bears in the woods, but the short answer is yes. At any given time, there are about a half a dozen projects 'on the needles' in and around my house. Most of them, right now, are in a box somewhere. That being the case, I'm a little low on gratuitous fiber shots, but I am getting a lot done on the projects I am working on.

Project 1 is a lace stole for DT, a teacher friend who is tutoring MUC in reading over the summer. This stole isn't anything fancy in the way of technique or design. I chose the pattern out of Treasury of Knitting Patterns, VL. 1 because it was mind-numbingly easy, making this a great travel project. The yarn is Knit Picks Bare, and I dyed it with some not-quite exhausted blue, but I did this sort of paint on thing. The yarn came out with this distressed denim type effect, which actually works, since the yarn is already starting to get a bit fuzzy from the stitch work. By the time I get this thing all sized and pinned out, it should be a really relazed, but comfy casual stole, which fits DT perfectly. The big news from this project is the Addi Turbo Lace circulars. Boy do they make all the difference in the world. I really recommend these needles if you're working with laceweight yarns or complicated stitchwork. The sharper points work so much easily than traditional Addis.

Project 2 is a rescue of some Alpaca Sox yarn sock I started some time ago and forgot. I ran across them in The Great Unpacking and decided to frog some unsightly patterning that just wasn't working and go for plain 'ol socks. They're not the fanciest in the world, but they are some kind of warm and fuzzy. They're going to make great Birk socks.

And, there's no picture, but I always have some kind of cotton project going, like market bags or dishcloths, which I generally work while at the pool with the kids. Yes, I even knit at the pool. And the movies. And while waiting for the doctor in the exam room. What can I say?



Small Post Script: Spoke to Dr. Lucy at length today. She is doing well, other than the 2 shots she must give herself each day. Fortunately, those end soon. Thank you for your kind thoughts for my friend.


No comments: