Friday, June 27, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love - This Is the Meaning of Life?

First, let me say I consider myself a fairly intelligent individual. It's not that I'm arrogant or superior about my acumen. I don't claim to have any ability equivalent to Stephen Hawking or Einstein. I'm no dummy either.


Secondly, I'm a voracious reader. There are always a few books I'm in the process of reading at any given time. Currently, I'm in the middle of one of the Florence King essay compilations, a biography of Abigail Adams, the letters of Abigail Adams and John Adams (I'm working on those concurrently), as well as a couple of pulp novels that have no particular literary value at all. I just use them as void fillers. In the past two and a half months, I've also read Jane Austen's Emma, three other Florence King books, both The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (by the same author and I recommed them highly), The Red Tent, a Christopher Moore book (whose title escapes me at the moment), The Count of Monte Christo ( for the innumerable time), Friday Night Knitting Club, a collection of O Henry stories (again), and several others, including the latest Laurell K Hamilton.

I recently read Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love, which is unusual for me for a couple of reasons. I don't really care what everyone else is reading, and I don't follow the best sellers as a matter of course. Also, I'm not into the whole self-help, 'here's the way to find yourself' thing. Why I actually picked this book up is a mystery. Maybe it has something to do with WHERE she went as opposed to WHY. Her travels took her to Italy, India and Bali, places I happen to find fascinating, and perhaps that is what lead to my interest. At any rate, I picked it up, plunked down my money and bought it. Once purchased, I slogged my way through it, regardless of whether I liked it or not. Rare is it for me to put a book down in total disgust before reading it through. I gave this book the same courtesy. I read it, and I did enjoy reading it, although it did get a bit tedious at times. It was a nice little book about one woman's personal journey to self-discovery.

Do I find it revolutionary and groundbreaking?

No.

This is where I'm having such difficulty. This book has becoming some sort of textbook on how to discover yourself. The author has been on Oprah where much to-do was made, there are reading group guides, the reviews tend to be over the top and I just don't get it. There's just not that much there. It's not an instruction manual. It's not even really a "how-to". It's more of a "year in the life".

Let me back-track a bit here and say, I do understand, fully, a person's need to search for personal or higher awareness. I totally 'get' what Gilbert was about and what she was doing. I don't necessarily agree with her methodology, but I understand the exercise. But, I (and from what I understand, she, too) feel that the journey for this self discovery, or discovery of a higher power, is so totally personal, there's no way to to emulate her journey. Every journey is unique and must follow a unique path.

Besides, we know the answer is 42. However, if you have any ideas that may enlighten me, feel free to post them.


One more small, totally unrelated note. I received word that two people important to me and mine are very sick. Dr. Lucy, whom I've referred to in this blog before has some bizarre, weird thing that I don't understand at the moment, since I haven't talked to her directly as of yet. All I know is she went to the hospital, where it was discovered there were blood clots in her lungs. She's now at home on bed rest. Secondly, The Things' Assistant Principal gave birth to a baby boy earlier in the week. The baby is healthy and fine. After delivery, something happened, and Parks had a heart attack, necessitating open heart surgery and a triple-bypass. For a while, she was being kept in a drug-induced coma, but the latest I heard just this afternoon was she is to be moved to a private room next week. This is really good news for both of my friends, but they are not out of the woods yet, so to speak. So, if you could keep these people in your thoughts and prayers, it would be much appreciated.


These butterflies are the Gulf Fritillary and the Black Swallowtail, both in my yard over the past week.

3 comments:

Eliezer Sobel said...

Actually, my sources tell me that posthumously, it was revealed that Douglas Adams had intentionally misled his readers, and that the meaning of life is actually 43. In the meantime, given what you said about Eat Pray Love, I'm wondering if I can interest you in reading my male version of the book, The 99th Monkey, which tells the story of my utter failure to get enlightened, while eating a lot less in the process. You can read the prologue here to see if you're interested:
http://www.the99thmonkey.com

Best,
Eliezer Sobel

Anonymous said...

I found the book took too long to get to the point. I am into reading books like this so I am somewhat of a self help / spiritual junkie. I liked Conservative Outcomes by Freiman the most of the handul I read this year. Freiman is very spiritual and claims to see visions. His common sense analysis of the topics facing the people of the US is very plain lacks political correctness. Freiman has a chapter on the meaning of life that in 10 or 15 pages summed up all these type of books I read over the years. Now I am off the kick and wish I would have read him first.

Unknown said...

"No accidents in life"...My "hot" Sat. night plans were to finish off 'A Prayer for Owen Meany' and then crack open 'Eat, Pray, Love'. Now, after reading your post, I'm not so sure about doing the latter.

'Eat' has been riding in the trunk of my car for some time. I'm not sure why I've dragged my feet in reading it (given the great press and all). Maybe it's because I've chosen to spend my time living and writing about my own 'meaning of life' journey.

For me, it's a fine line between loving the experience of others' words on my life, and actually experiencing my own life's journey.

We'll see how my "hot" Sat. night turns out :-)

take care,
Louise Lewis, author
No Experts Needed: The Meaning of Life According to You!
Free copy at: www.noexpertsneeded.com