Sunday, September 07, 2008

A Novel Without A Hero

Once Upon A Time there was a blog entitled Knitting the Classics. It's now defunct, but it's purpose (at the time) was to read some great books and knit inspiring piece of works based on said book. Unfortunately for me, I discovered this little gem too late.

Being the voracious reader I am, I have no lack of books in my dining room/studio that have been sacrificed at the altar of my literary muse this summer. Perhaps my greatest accomplishment was in reading the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series. Yes, I read all 6 book, incompassing some 6800 pages, in less than two weeks. And, I broke up the monotony of Claire and Jamie's story with Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series. I was a busy girl.

The trouble, if you want to call it that, is that I read for myself, but generally have no avenue of discourse regarding these books. I read, digest and internalize these books. Most often, this isn't an issue. My ideas would probably set people's backs up and frighten small children. But, every so often, I have the desire to read, discuss and exchange.

A book club doesn't really appeal, and isn't all that conducive to my life, given The Things. If I want to have a discussion about The Spiderwick Chronicles, I suppose I'm set. But, if I want to talk Pride and Prejudice, I'm a little short on method and opportunity, despite the motive.

Enter Knit the Classics. It would have been the perfect balance and compromise. If it still existed. Luckily for me, there's a fair compromise. On Ravelry, there are two groups, Knitting 19th Century Novels and Knitting 20th Century Novels which hold basically the same function as KTC: Read a major work every two month (and discuss in the forums) and knit a project inspired by the novel.

I've picked up my first two novels, Vanity Fair by Willam Makepeace Thackery, and The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I'm reading along and already have the beginnings of knitting inspiration for Name of the Rose, as you can see by the photo below. I'm thinking ideas along rose windows. Not sure how, exactly I'm going to pull this off yet, though.


So, now I can discuss and talk, as time allows, and not worry that my ideas are strange or weird or whatever. I have the time to really think about what I say before I type my ideas out, and I can pose these theories in the best light. Right?

Well, you would think so, but apparently, I'm just that much of a freak. When I brought forth a point in Vanity Fair, where one of the characters is labeled a misanthrope (a word that's popped up repeatedly for me this summer), I somewhat challenged it. I asked what others thought. And only one person replied with a sort of wishy-washy response.

Maybe I'll just go back to lurking and keep my mouth shut.

No comments: