Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Tide Is High, but I'm Holding On (barely)

Saturday, we have to go down south a bit. Nec's family is having a birthday celebration for his Aunt Dion. I can't remember right now which birthday this is for her, exactly, but I seem to remember something in the neighborhood of 80. I'll have to clarify at a later point. At any rate, I have been busy cleaning and getting a few projects of my own ready, knowing we had this upcoming event, and Necropolis had his own idea of what he wanted to do regarding a gift. That left me off the hook, and truthfully, I haven't thought another thing about it. Tonight, when he arrived home from work, I was informed this idea had fallen through, and I'm asked, "So, can you KNIT a shawl or something?"


Of course, I think. I'll just wiggle my nose and presto, a beautiful cobweb shawl will magically appear.

Where has this man been while I've been cursing and complaining and generally being maniacal about The Stoli? Is this the same man who complains, LOUDLY, every morning about the two dozen tote bags around my side of the bed, each containing a different knitting project? These things take TIME, people, not to mention it's been well documented over the past couple of weeks I am unable to knit complicated patterns and mother at the same time. I'm unable to knit complicated patterns and BREATHE at the same time. And, he wants, "...a shawl or something."

I can the sarcasm (barely) and give the honest response: I truly don't think I have enough of the appropriate yarn in my stash to complete a last minute project for someone of Dion's maturity and sensibilities. My response was met with the 9 most beautiful word in the English language to a fiber-holic:

"You can go to the yarn store right now."

I kid you not. The man who, in the past, couldn't understand what I could possibly need with so much yarn at one time (and believe me, my stash is really small) was actually asking about yarn and even offered me a "Go to the Yarn Store Free" card. Naturally, given my luck, this conversation took place more than 2 hours *after* my LYS had closed for the day.

Did I cave and start knitting something for this?

Yes.

I'm a total sucker.

I did have one lone skein of Blue Sky Alpaca and Silk in ecru. I started knitting up a generic type shawl, and I figure I can pick up another couple of skeins tomorrow. It's ecru, so hopefully, color lots won't matter too terribly much. I finished the one skein in about three and a half hours, which included one false start and necessary frogging at about 10 rows and various stop-and-starts due to Things 1 and 2. Here are a couple of pictures. Given I can't really spread this one out at this point, you'll have to use your imagination a little.


Because it usually looks like this: Blue Sky Ramen


I had some company while I was knitting. She didn't make a sound and didn't say I was singing Blondie or Cake too loudly (unlike Things 1 and 2). Good thing her coat is white. It blends right in with the shawl while I knit.



Oh, and that cleaning I was doing. Totally necessary. Really.

No comments: