Thursday, November 13, 2008

When You're a Jet, You're a Jet

I’ve always known I’m a bit of a geeky nerd. Okay, I’m a LOT of a geeky nerd. And, I’m totally okay with that. My car radio is tuned to NPR. I like to create historic garb. I know what lapidary is, and I enjoy sitting and sweating in the Georgia July sun to take butterfly pictures. I find the gossipy history of musicians totally fascinating (check out Gesualdo) and once considered becoming a musicologist.

In the fibery world, I’m geeky as well. I knit at the pool and the beach. I know the difference between Lord Raglan and Lord Cardigan. I have a spinning wheel and spindle. I even have geeky fibery friends. One of those friends knitted a bicycle helment cover based on this little creature:


It’s a nudibranch, a lovely little sea creature, but I’m just enthralled that someone would knit this.

I also dye fiber and yarn, and have begun the geeky nerdy process of experimenting with my dyeing solutions and processes. No household product is safe. Today, I discovered I am a novice in the world of geeky nerdy fiberhood. On Ravelry, a question was asked about why a particular yellow dye solution wouldn’t stay dissolved, and reverted to a state somewhat consistent to Egg Drop Soup.

All of a sudden, my new friend Brewergnome was possessed. He gave a Chemistry lesson on hydrophobic dye, blah, blah, blah. You can read his ‘findings’ at his blog. It’s actually interesting reading if you’re into it, and has pictures and everything.

All hail, King of the Nerds!

3 comments:

Eidolon said...

That's a nudibranch? If so, I am just not seeing it... But yeah, they are gorgeous. Anyway, here are some other pictureswhere they are easier to see. http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=nudibranch&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Jenni P McD said...

Yes, nudi. Found here.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=acanlute

Unknown said...

Nudibranchs are da bomb. I like the black ones the best.